Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Right to Work

Set out below is a range of requirements, information and other details you will need to start a new job in the UK:

Yes. If you are granted a visa through the Ukrainian Family Scheme and Ukrainian Sponsorship Scheme, then you will be eligible to work in the United Kingdom.

More information can be found here - Move to the UK if you’re from Ukraine - GOV.UK (

To prove that you have the right to work in the United Kingdom – you will need to obtain the following: -

1)      Biometric Residence Permit (see below)

2)      National Insurance Number (see below)

You may also need: -

3)      Your passport

Prove your right to work to an employer - GOV.UK (

You will need these documents to get a “Right to Work Share Code” which you will need to give to your new employer.

If you are arriving in the United Kingdom from Ukraine, then you will be given a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP). This is a card which holds your name, date of birth, place of birth, photo ID and fingerprints. It will also state your immigration status.

Biometric residence permits (BRPs): What a BRP is - GOV.UK (

When your visa application is approved, you will receive a visa document by e-mail which you can use to enter the United Kingdom. Once you are in the UK, you can use this e-mail to apply for a Biometric Residence Permit. You can collect your Biometric Residence Permit at a Post Office of your choice.

Biometric residence permits (BRPs): Getting your BRP if you applied from outside the UK - GOV.UK (

A National Insurance Number is unique to you and the government use this number to make sure that national insurance contributions and tax which you pay is recorded against your name.

National Insurance: introduction: Your National Insurance number - GOV.UK (

Once you have a Biometric Residence Permit you can apply for a National Insurance Number on the UK Government website. You will also be automatically given a National Insurance Number if you have a claim for Universal Credit approved.

Apply for a National Insurance number - GOV.UK (

Before you start a new job, your employer will ask you for a Right to Work Share Code. This is a code which is individual to you. You give this to your new employer to prove that you have the right to work in the United Kingdom.

View a job applicant's right to work details - GOV.UK (

Once you have your Biometric Residence Permit Number or Card Number, you can get your Right to Work Share Code by filling in this form on the UK government website.

Prove your right to work to an employer - GOV.UK (

Once you have the code, you then need to give this to your employer.

When you arrive in the United Kingdom, you will be able to claim Universal Credit.

Universal Credit is a monthly payment which you can receive to help with your cost of living. The amount of money you will receive will depend on your circumstances. You can apply for Universal Credit if: -

  • You are in work and on a low income.
  • You are currently looking for work.
  • You are unable to work.

More information can be found here - Universal Credit: What Universal Credit is - GOV.UK (

You can apply for Universal Credit on the UK government website: - Apply for Universal Credit - GOV.UK (

Ukrainians can apply for a current bank account (with most of the banks) online, telephone, or in branch.

In most of the banks you will need ID:

  • Ukrainian passport or Ukrainian internal ID
  • your Biometric Residence Permit card
  • proof of the address (this can be your sponsor’s utility bill)

If your application is successful, you will be sent:

  • debit card
  • your pin number (you will need to change it once it received)
  • support instructions

Also see Banks in Further Support.